ss_blog_claim=e7dc29d4cece459151dd865207d72c4c

Monday, May 25, 2009

Summer = S'mores

I was never a Girl Scout.

I begrudgingly showed up for Brownies for a year, although I wanted to quit after the first meeting.


After I had the super-stylin' jumper/vest/beanie combo I was really not all that interested in the rest of it. But since my mother had invested in the super-stylin' jumper & vest & beanie I had to go. For the whole year.

I probably would have been more into it if they had busted out the S'mores. My understanding is that S'mores are a key component of any Girl Scout camping event. Alas, I didn't make it that far so I don't know for sure. But the legend of the S'more is out there calling my name...

Until a couple of years ago, I thought that S'mores required a campfire. And some sort of super scout training. But then I discovered not one, but two extraordinarily easy ways to experience the joys of the S'more. No campfire necessary. Microwave only. Love that!

First Method - More Traditional:
Ingredients:
Graham Crackers - The standard honey-type - broken into square pieces (half of the big regtangles)
Large Marshmallows
Hershey Bars - broken into two-square or three-square pieces - approximately the same size as the graham crackers

Method:
1.) On a microwave-safe plate, place a graham cracker square with a chocolate square and one marshmallow on top.
2.) Microwave the stack for about 15 seconds (experiment until you get it the way you want - but 10-15 seconds is probably about right).
The marshmallow will puff up in an alarming manner - which is part of the fun.
3.) Top with another graham cracker square.
Try to wait a few seconds so you don't set your mouth on fire with molten marshmallow.
Good luck with the waiting part...

Second Method - More Awesome*:
Ingredients:
8 cups of Golden Grahams Cereal
6 cups miniature marshmallows
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
5 tablespoons butter/margerine
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla

Method:
(apparently this can be done on the stovetop, but I can't imagine why...)
1.) Put the cereal in a large bowl.
2.) Grease a 9 X 13" pan - I use cooking spray
3.) Put 5 cups of the marshmallows, the butter, the chocolate and the corn syrup in a microwave-safe bowl.
4.) Microwave for 1 minute.
Stir.
Microwave for another 30-45 seconds.
Stir.
You want the marshmallows to be melted and everything to mix together smoothly but for it to still be marshmallow-y and a little poufy - not completely runny. Keep cooking for 30 seconds or so at a time and stirring. My microwave takes less than 2 minutes to get to the right consistency.
5.) Mix in the vanilla (I frequently forget this step and don't think it makes much difference...)
6.) Pour the chocolate mixture over the dry cereal and mix together until the cereal is well coated.
7.) Stir in the last cup of mini marshmallows until they are mixed in well.
8.) Pour the whole mess into the greased pan and smoosh it down flat with your hands.
(I spray my hands with the cooking spray so they don't stick).
9.) Put the pan in the fridge to cool/harden.
10.) Cut into about 20 pieces. Or, like, 4...so you can say you only ate one piece.

So...there you go. S'mores without having to go out with the bugs, learn to build a fire, and whatever else those crazy Girl Scouts do.

Sorry I can't give you a badge. Those seemed kind of cool, too.

*This recipe is sometimes featured on the box of Golden Grahams.

1 comment:

Good life changes.. said...

OMG - those smores are awesome !! We made them yesterday - except we didn't have the cereal so used smashed up graham crackers - T was all excited to make them.. but now won't eat them, Dave is showing restraint.. so it is being left to me to eat them all :) Love them !!